Friday, October 15, 2010

HOPE in China

This year has been an especially inspiring one for me. I have had the privilege of visiting some of HOPE’s program sites around the world to meet with patients, their physicians and nurses, as well as donors, ministers of health and heads of state, to assess the impact of our lifesaving work. Earlier this year, I visited Haiti, Honduras and Nicaragua. Today, I'm en route to China.

For more than 25 years, volunteers and staff from Project HOPE have addressed some of China’s most pressing health needs including children’s heart defects, diabetes, HIV/AIDS and nursing education. We have also provided support in times of natural disasters, including emergency relief efforts and long-term recovery work following the massive 2008 earthquake in China’s Sichuan Province.

Our China Rehabilitation Medicine Program, launched in 2009, is increasing both the accessibility and quality of rehabilitation services for the more than 70,000 injured in the earthquake-affected areas of the Sichuan Province, as well as contributing to the improvement of rehabilitation services throughout China.

I plan to visit one our rehabilitative medicine sites in Du Jiang Yan, while in China. I also plan to visit with beneficiaries at the Shanghai Children’s Medical Center and also talk with experts about our continuing nutrition work now benefiting children and their families nationwide.

I hope you will join me in the coming days, albeit online. You, too, will be inspired by what we will experience together, from Shanghai to Sichuan Province.

John

No comments: